On this page

> Report current care concerns

Lodge claims for historical abuse

Accessing personal records

Access help and support from government agencies or community services

We have listed below information about how to make a claim, request personal records or access support from government agencies or community services.


Report current care concerns

The following services are available if you have concerns about someone’s current care or situation:

  • Police on 111 (if someone is in immediate danger)
  • Oranga Tamariki on 0508 326 459 (for children at risk)
  • Health and disability advocates on 0800 555 050 (for problems with health and disability services)

To access help or support from the Royal Commission you can:

  • visit the  Royal Commission website(external link)
  • Survivors, their whānau and support people can call the Royal Commission in New Zealand on: 0800 222 727 between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday
  • People in Australia can call the Royal Commission on: free phone 1800 875 745.
  • Email the Royal Commission at: contact@abuseincare.org.nz

Make a claim

You can make a claim of historic abuse or neglect with the Ministry of Social Development if you were in the care, custody, guardianship, or came to the notice of the Child Welfare Division, the Department of Social Welfare, the New Zealand Children and Young Persons Service or Child, Youth and Family before 1 April 2017.

For more information, including how you can start the claims process, please go to the Ministry of Social Development, Historic Claims web page.(external link)

If you were abused or neglected while in the care of Oranga Tamariki (after 1 April 2017) you can make a claim with Oranga Tamariki.

For more information, please go to the Oranga Tamariki claims web page(external link).

If you were abused or neglected at a residential special school run by the Department of Education before 1989, you can make a historic claim with the Ministry of Education.

For more information, please go to the Ministry of Education’s historic claims web page.(external link)

If you were abused or neglected at a former psychiatric institution (including the Lake Alice Hospital Child and Adolescent Unit), you can make a historic claim with the Ministry of Health.

For more information, please contact the Ministry of Health Historic Abuse Resolution Service.(external link)

Crown Confidentiality Waiver

The Crown has waived confidentiality for anyone who has a settlement for a historic abuse claim, so you can share any information about your settlement agreement with the Royal Commission.

Crown Confidentiality Waiver [DOCX, 27 KB]


Accessing personal records

You have the right to ask for any personal records made about your time in care. You can ask for these records from the organisations that hold records about the care institutions where you stayed.

To find out more about the process, visit: Accessing your records.


Help and support services

The following covers information about support available from government agencies or community services, not from the Royal Commission. Information about the help and support the Royal Commission provides is here(external link).


Alcohol and Drug Helpline(external link) 0800 787 797 or online chat for people dealing with an alcohol or other drug problem; 10 am to 10 pm)

Anxiety phone line(external link) 0800 269 4389 (0800 ANXIETY)

Are you OK – Family Violence(external link) Steps and support for safety for you and your whānau whenever you’re ready

Depression Helpline(external link) 0800 111 757 or free text 4202 (to talk to a trained counsellor about how you are feeling or to ask any questions)

Family Services 211 Helpline(external link) 0800 211 211 for help finding (and direct transfer to) community based health and social support services in your area.

Lifeline(external link) 0800 543 354 (0800 LIFELINE) or free text 4357 (HELP)

Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Aotearoa New Zealand(external link)

Ministry of Health(external link) For more digital tools and resources

Need to talk?(external link) Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor

OUTline NZ(external link) 0800 688 5463 (OUTLINE) provides confidential telephone support for sexuality or gender identity issues; 9 am to 9 pm weekdays, and 6 pm to 8 pm weekends)

Rape Crisis(external link) 0800 883 300 (for support after rape or sexual assault)

Safe to talk(external link) (Available 24/7) 0800 044 334, free txt 4334, email support@safetotalk.nz Free and confidential information and support from trained counsellors for people affected by sexual harm in any way.

Samaritans(external link) 0800 726 666

Skylight(external link) 0800 299 100 for trauma, loss and grief; 9am–5pm weekdays

SNAP - Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests(external link) Providing peer support for women and men wounded by religious and institutional authorities (priests, ministers, bishops, deacons, nuns, coaches, teachers, and others)

Suicide Crisis(external link) Helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)

Supporting Families in Mental Illness(external link) For families and whānau supporting a loved one who has a mental illness. Auckland 0800 732 825.

The LowDown(external link)(external link)(external link)  A space created a space created with rangatahi, for rangatahi. Find support here for your hauora, identity, culture and mental health

Victim Support(external link) This free service provides emotional and practical support, information, financial assistance, referral to other support services and advocacy for the rights of victims.

Voyce – Whakarongo Mai(external link)  lists services available

Youthline(external link) 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email talk@youthline.co.nz or online chat.



Related pages

Last modified: